Thursday 21 October 2010

Caramelised mango with coconut panna cotta

Having an organic veg box delivered is a great way to get your hands on a regular supply of top quality, super-fresh fruit and vegetables direct to your door. It's brilliant for those times when there's just too much going on and you're just too busy to get to a market or a good greengrocers. I love my veg box and wouldn't be without it.

Of course there are times when the veg box presents challenges, sometimes I get vegetables or fruit that I'm not used to cooking or on rare occasions something that I just don't like that much. The last two weeks have been like that, It's obviously the time for mangoes because they've been in my box two weeks in a row.I've used mango a few times before but it's not something I often buy. I've made mango cheesecake before and a really fantastic spicy mango salsa, this time however I chose to chop it into chunks and caramelise it to make a sweet, golden mango compote. It would have made a great topping for ice cream or paired with a dollop of Greek yogurt, I chose to serve mine with a silky smooth coconut panna cotta.Panna cotta is a classic Italian dessert that's incredibly easy to make having just four ingredients, cream, sugar, gelatine and vanilla. To make a coconut panna cotta I left out the vanilla and substituted some of the cream for coconut milk, the flavour of coconut isn't strong but the cream does have a light, delicate, tropical coconut flavour, the perfect partner to sweet sticky caramelised mango.
Coconut panna cotta with caramelised mango (Serves 6-8)
Ingredients:
For the caramelised mango:
  • 1 Large mango, peeled, stoned and diced
  • 5 Tablespoons white sugar
  • Water
For the panna cotta:
  • 600ml/1 Pint double/heavy cream
  • 400ml Coconut milk
  • 75g White sugar
  • Gelatine leaves, enough to set 1 litre of liquid (Every brand of gelatine is different, I used 7 leaves of supercook gelatine but check your packet)
Method:
For the mango:
  • Put the sugar in a pan with a few spoonfuls of water, put it on the heat and bring to a boil. Keep boiling until it has turned a golden caramel colour.
  • When your sugar has caramelised add all the mango to pan, the sugar will seize but keep cooking and it will soften again.
  • Cook until the mango is soft and coated with a sticky syrup.
  • Set aside to cool for a few minutes then store in the fridge.
For the panna cotta:
  • First off put your gelatine leaves into a bowl of water to soften.
  • Place the cream, coconut milk and sugar into a saucepan and place on a gentle heat until it just begins to simmer, don't let the mixture boil.
  • When the cream mixture is just beginning to bubble around the edges take it of the heat and add the gelatine one sheet at a time whisking the mixture after each sheet has been added.
  • Once all the gelatine had been dissolved pour the mixture into molds or glasses and place in the fridge to set.
  • Serve with a spoonful of caramelised mango on top.

3 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've had to stop my veg box - with Paul working away during the week, we were starting to waste food which I can't bear. Lucky you getting mangoes though! Pannacotta is one of my favourite go-to desserts. Idiot-proof and impressive!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

I am a huge fan of panna cotta and of coconut... and have never tried caramelised mangoes before. I think the can of coconut milk in my cupboard should definitely go into this recipe soon, yum! :)

The Caked Crusader said...

Love the idea of coconut panna cotta.
A veg box would stress me too much, plus I don't like being told what to cook!!!