Wednesday 3 June 2009

Victoria cream sponge

The company that I work for is celebrating it's anniversary this year, to mark the occasion a buffet was laid on and there was a huge cake to share. Just in case we hadn't had enough cake already they also sent us home with a 'cake making kit', in it were all the ingredients (except the eggs) for making a Victoria sponge, flour, butter, sugar and jam.

It's hard to improve on a classic like a Victoria sponge but by adding whipped cream I found a way. Of course cream is entirely optional but it is highly recommended, your cake won't keep as long but in my house at least, that's not a problem...I use the traditional method for making sponge cakes, first I weigh all of the eggs in their shells, I then use an equal weight of butter, sugar and self raising flour. For example if I use three eggs that weigh 50g each then I'll use 150g of butter, sugar and flour.

Maths lesson over it's time for the recipe...
Victoria sponge recipe
Ingredients:
  • 3 Large eggs
  • Butter
  • Sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
  • Self raising flour
  • Vanilla extract (homemade if you have it)
  • Jam and whipped cream for the filling
Method:
  • Preheat your oven to gas 4/180c/350f and grease two 7 inch sponge tins.
  • First weigh all three eggs together in their shells, make a note of how much they weigh.
  • Whatever the eggs weigh add the same weight in butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and beat well together until light and fluffy, this will take a few minutes.
  • Next beat in the eggs followed by an equal weight again of self raising flour, add a few drops of vanilla and mix well together.
  • Divide the mixture equally between the two sponge tins and bake for around 25 minutes. Check they're cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean they're done.
  • Cool the cakes on a rack, once they have cooled fill with jam and whipped cream and enjoy!

16 comments:

Katie said...

Oh yes you can't beat a bit of cream and jam for a yummy cake filling :)

Hopie said...

Ok, that's it, I have to get myself a cake pan! Looks delicious!

Marielle said...

Sam!
We used to eat/make this all the time when we lived in London! There's nothing better than the classics, it looks absolutely delicious!
I've switched to wordpress, you should check it out it's awesome! I also took a web design class and learned a lot of easy tricks. (like buying a domain name and having it link to your blog without doing anything hard at ALL)
Let me know if you need any help! www.cyclingcook.com is available! If you decide to purchase, go through host papa. I'll help you if you need it :)
Good to be back!

Amanda @ Mrs.W's Kitchen said...

I love the simplicity of this recipe. I really need to get a kitchen scale!

pigpigscorner said...

oh gosh, filling overflow! yum yum!

Karen said...

I would first have to take that cake and lick around the edges that are oozing out! LOL Looks great!

A Girl Has to Eat said...

I can never resist a good cake. This looks good.

gastroanthropologist said...

Last week we had some victoria cake at an event and my husband looked at me and said - I need you to master this cake. It's a wonderful combination sponge cake + jam...Yours looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Sam!
Totally can help you! e-mail me when you're ready! it's really pretty easy, but i'll get you set up with programs that you could have growing room when you want to expand!

Maggie said...

Looks delicious!

Sylvie said...

You can never go wrong with a Victorian Cream Sponge!

Nic said...

My mum used to make these all the time when we were little, thanks for the memories - your looks brilliant!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

That looks like a superb sponge, Sam - you obviously have the gift! Slathered with cream and strawberry jam - mmmm, an irresistible classic! An oldie, but a goodie...

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gorgeous! That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for (and didn't get) when we were out for afternoon tea the other week. I do admire your baking skills.

The Caked Crusader said...

Uncanny! I was walking to the station this morning thinking about Victoria sponge and how I needed to make one....and I also decided to fill it with fresh cream. Great minds obviously do think alike!

Sophie said...

I think with that cream in the middle it already wouldn't last at my house, simple and delicious -- a real classic!